History of Coverlet as told by Mrs. Emmeline Parker Kimberly: James A. Parker, Baptist Minister of Brighton, Iowa planned to have a coverlet made for each of his four children, the weaving to be done at Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa. The wool was sheared from sheep on his own farm, and the work of shearing, scouring and carding the wool was done by the family, each having some part in preparing the material. The cotton was purchased in 'hanks'. The spinning of the wool and the cotton was done by Mrs. Parker, as she did not think anyone else was experienced enough to maintain a nice even thread. The Spun thread was taken to Mr. D. Stephenson, weaver, at Fairfield, Iowa. Two coverlets were woven in 1855 and the other two in 1857. The patterns, as far as known, were of his own design, and were done by him on a loom brought from Ohio. Mr. Parker died, and the coverlets were kept by Mrs. Parker until her death. By that time Emmeline was the only living child. The coverlets had constant use from the time they were made until 1930. The white side of the coverlet was called the 'summer side', the dark green side was the 'winter side'. The cost of weaving was between $3.50 and $5.00 a piece. The name and date in the corner was 25 cents extra.