|Object Name||Machine, Sewing|
Sewing Machine, Howe. Belonged to mother of donor who lived at 1511 Crocker Street, Des Moines, over 57 years. Elias Howe jr., inventor and maker, New York, NY USA.
"The Elias Howe machine was purchased by Mrs., Harriet Packard Stevens, a widow who later married Peter Hall. Mrs. Hall was the mother of Mrs. Evelyn C. Lewton and the grandmother of Effie M and Ralph D. Lewton. Mrs. Harriet Hall was born in Kingfield, Maine. She and her family moved from Maine to Quasqueton, Iowa June 6, 1865. About 1868 the family moved to the Adams Place which was three miles east of Walker, Iowa. While there and agent came along selling Howe machines. Mrs. Hall purchased a machine. In 1891 Mrs. Hall went to Des Moines to live with her daughter Mrs. Evelyn C. Lewton. She took the Howe machine with her, and it has been a prized possession of the Lewton family. The daughter, Evelyn Lewton, learned to do machine sewing at the age of eight, and the grandchildren Effie and Ralph also learned at an early age. Mrs. Lewton and her daughter had made plans to donate it to the Iowa State Historical Society and after the death of Mrs. Evely C. Lewton June 3, 1946, her daughter Miss Effie M. Lewton gave it to the Iowa Department of History and Archives, June 13, 1946" The top of the machine lifts off and there is a small drawer on each side with sewing accessories. There is a bit of sample material associated with the machine that was placed on the side table. 28" x 16.25" x 38.5"
|Source||Lewton, Miss Effie|