Navy blue, dark red and tan, hand-loomed in Ireland, formerly the property of Mr. And Mrs. David S. McQuiston, married at Saylorville, Oct 28, 1858.
Donated July 6, 1961 by Richard L., Ruth A., William E., and Robert E. Spry, grandchildren of David S. and Avis McQuiston by their daughter, Mattie M. McQuiston Spry, late of 615 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, Iowa.
Mattie McQuiston Spry was the (grand)daughter of John B. Saylor, one of the brothers who founded Saylorville, north of Des Moines. The Saylors had a contract with the suttler of Fort Des Moines at the forks of the Raccoon and Des Moines Rivers to provide that cavalry unit with hay and other provisions.
Jno. B. used an old Indian trail to travel to the Fort - it became Saylor Road and Sixth Avenue.
The Spry brothers and sister are sons and daughter of William R. Spry who for 18 years was superintendent of buildings and grounds for the State of Iowa.
Mr. McQuiston was a veteran of the 23rd Iowa Infantry in the Civil War.
Note from Accession Book: Given in the hope that if and when a Polk County Historical Society is capable of caring for it, it may be given to that group)
|Source||Spry, Richard, Ruth, Wm., Robert|