Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 00909
Object Name Rack
Description Tie Rack. This tie rack was made in1937 from a rough-hewn plank that had been removed during the 1930s by C.R. Jackman of Lowell, Iowa from a dam that had been built across the Skunk River at Lowell nearly a century earlier by Herman Mathews, Iowa pioneer. Mr. Mathews was a millwright by trade and he was responsible for the building of several grain mills in southeastern Iowa at about 1840 and a history of Henry County, Iowa speaks of him as having been the contractor for this dam at Lowell. The lumber is oak and the plank had been under water for nearly a century before its removal by Mr. Jackman. Note color of wood. Mr. Jackman presented the plank to Horward A. Mathews of Danville, Iowa, grandson of Herman. Howard Mathews had played a part in the history of Iowa having been a school teached, Des Moines County Superintendent of Schools, and member of the State Legislature for five terms beginning in 1923 and having several terms being Speaker Pro Tempore and during one session Speaker of the House. Son Lorin had the rack made and presented it to his father at Christmas time 1937. Howard Mathews died in 1945
Source Mathews, Lorin W.
Received Date 09/26/1951