Regimental flag of the 168th Iowa Infantry Regiment, part of Rainbow Division, WWII. Governmental issue. 1 layer. Machine sewn and embroidered. Cloth (cotton, silk), leather and pigment. Object No: 1245, tagged only
The 168th Infantry Regiment, also known as the 3rd Iowa, was originally organized as the 4th Regiment on August 8, 1861, throughout several reorganizations and redesignations, the regiment would take on several different names, including; 4th Iowa Volunteer Veteran Regiment, 3rd Infantry, 5th Infantry, and th 51st Iowa in the Spanish-American War of 1898. During the WWI, 168th Infantry was drafted into federal service again on August 16, 1917, and was assigned to the 42nd Division. The 42 Division was composed of four infantry regiments, these were the 165th (69th New York), 166th (4th Ohio), 167th (4th Alabama), and the 168th (3rd Iowa). The regiment was demobilized on May 17, 1919. During WWII the 168th Infantry was once again called to service and was activated on July 14, 1943. The first task of the 168th Infantry, 42nd Rainbow Division was to train troops, creating replacements for other divisions, but by the summer of 1944 the 168th was called to go overseas. One of the major accomplishments of the168th Infantry was the liberation of the Nazi prison camp Dachau.
"168th Infantry Regiment (Third Iowa)." depothill.net/LineageHonors168th.pdf
"WWI," Rainbow Division Veterans Foundation. 2015. www.rainbowvets.org/wwi
"WWII," Rainbow Division Veterans Foundation. 2015. www.rainbowvets.org/wwii
Accessory information located in the Notes section.
|Source||Tinley, Mrs. Matthew A.|
|Collection||Iowa Battle Flag Project|
World War II
168th Iowa Infantry Regiment